At todays VMworld Keynote VMware Integrated OpenStack version 3.0 is going to be announced. If you are like me and haven’t had a chance to learn about the VIO offering as a whole then let me give a basic overview and then what new capabilities and features are coming in the 3.0 release.
What is VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) ?
- VIO is an “Integrated Product” Approach to OpenStack
- Standard OpenStack Distribution (delivered as OVA)
- Deploys & Manages Proven Production Architecture on VMware SDDC
- Fully Supported by VMware
The features that have been released prior to the this release and the ones in this release are:
VIO 1.0 (Q1 2015)
- Icehouse Based
- VMware Platform Differentiation
- Production Ready
- Simplified Deploy
- Day 2 Operation Workflows
- Automated Patching
- Fully Supported
VIO 2.0 (Q3 2015)
- Kilo Based
- Seamless / Automated Upgrade & Rollback
- Backup & Recovery
VIO 2.5 (Q2 2016)
- Kilo Based
- Compact Architecture
- VM Template Import
- Scale, Perf & Stability Improvements
- Simplified Monitoring & Troubleshooting
- NFV Features
VIO 3.0 (H2 2016)
- Mitaka Based
- Compact VIO
- Import existing vSphere workloads
VIO 3.0 Mitaka OpenStack Release
- Latest OpenStack Release
- Tons of improvements
- Improved day-to-day experience for cloud admins and administrators.
- Simplified configuration for Nova compute service.
- Streamlined Keystone identity service is now a one-step process for setting up the identity management features of a cloud network.
- Keystone now supports multi-backend allowing local authentication and AD accounts simultaneously.
- Heat’s convergence engine optimized to handle larger loads and more complex actions for horizontal scaling for improved performance for stateless mode.
- Enhanced OpenStack Client provides a consistent set of calls for creating resources no longer requiring the need to learn the intricacies of each service API.
- Support for software development kits (SDKs) in various languages.
- New “give me a network,” feature capable of creating a network, attaching a server to it, assigning an IP to that server, and making the network accessible, in a single action
VIO 3.0: Slimmer Full HA Architecture
VIO 3.0: Compact Mode
VIO 3.0: Import vSphere Workloads
VIO delivers AWS Productivity with Private Cloud Control
If you want to learn more about VIO then make sure you attend the VMware booth in the solutions exchange at VMworld US if you are attending the conference or speak to your TAM/VMware Sales representative for a demo or PoC.