So now that the blueprints are out and the public beta exam has been released I thought I better start building a list for the resources I’m going to use for the exam and will expand upon this as time goes by. As per usual if you think I’m missing some top class resources then please do let me know and I’ll add them.
- First is the exam blueprint. Currently this is the beta blueprint but as far as I can see this matches the online(really don’t like this outlay) blueprint on the exam page. As per usual the blueprint is your bible and whatever is in the blueprint will be in the exam.
- Next is the officially recommended course VMware Cloud Automation: Design and Deploy Fast Track. The course is based on 6.0 and there are a few differences in design methods between 6.0 and 6.2 but the rest should be exactly the same. I’ve never done this course but from the description it certainly covers a large portion of the exam blueprint.
- A brilliant resource is the vRealize Automation Reference Architecture from VMware. As I mention there are some slight differences between vRA 6.0 (vCAC) and vRA 6.2 so further clarification on the version would be good but the reference architecture is brilliant and is something I learnt from and used during my up skilling on vRA for my current customer engagement on vRA.
- A really great resource is the vCloud Architecture Toolkit (vCAT) . This is based on vCloud but 90% also applies to vRA and is a really great resource and certainly is something you should read end to end a few times in my opinion.
- I have started to break down all of the VCAP6-CMA design exam objectives. I am recording this progress and the links to the objectives on my blogs page here.
- Resources for the now retired VCAP-CID are still really good and give you brilliant knowledge for cloud design.So the applicable study resources are:
- The EMEA vBrownbag which I co-host have gone through the VCAP5-CID blueprint which can be found on http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/ as well as downloadable by iTunes here http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/professionalvmware-brownbags/id468638808 .
- A list of all the VCAP5-CID videos are listed below and I will try keep this updated for people and we are looking at doing deep dives into some of the sections which warrant it.
- Some of the resources for the VCAP5-DCD certainly fit really well from my experience especially the following few:
- Scott Lowe’s Mastering VMware vSphere 5 book was/is brilliant and is now available in both the US and the rest of the world via Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.
- The vSphere 6 version is also out and is brilliant.
- The VMware vSphere Design v2 book by Scott,Forbes and Kendrick is also brilliant in giving design methodology.
- Again Scott Lowe with his Designing VMware Infrastructure Trainsignal set of videos.
- I’m possibly going to get stick for this until it is released but in preparation for that, The Art of IT Infrastucture book that I was very fortunaet enough to be a reviewer of is AMAZING and will move higher up this list once it is released. The guys give brilliant information and even examples.
- Next is really obvious but having done actual vRA designs is a massive benefit and recommendation. Try build your own design so you get an idea of the holistic view you must have in design.
- The vBrownbag EMEA is looking to start breaking down the VCAP6-CMA Design blueprint and I will update this posting with the applicable blueprint sections as they are completed.