TheSaffaGeek

My ramblings about all things technical

vCenter 5.1 SSO default domain clashes if domain is added to username for CommVault Auto-Discovery

8 Comments

Today on a customer site after having done an upgrade of their vCenter to vCenter 5.1  the customer started experiencing problems with their CommVault Simpana 9 backup proxies talking to the vCenter server to see the hosts and datastores contained in the environment and when they ran an auto-discovery on the environment it came back blank. I searched the VMware forums, the VMware documentation and the internet and the customer searched maintenance advantage but we couldn’t find a solution to the problem.

 

We tested logging into the vCenter server as the service account and noticed a very strange error occur when we ticked the use windows session credentials box. The error we received was incorrect username or password yet the service account had the correct permissions. We realised by unticking the use windows session credentials box and typing in the username and password for the service account and thereby not having the domain before the username this allowed the account to log into vCenter without any problems. So we changed the CommVault service account credentials on the CommVault backup server to not have the domain in the username ( from domain\serviceaccount to just serviceaccount ) the CommVault server was able to to do the discovery of the upgraded vCenter’s hosts and datastores and do the backups again Open-mouthed smile

 

I can’t prove at the moment that the the error is due to the default domain already being set in SSO and so there is a clash when you specify I do suspect this is related to it.

 

Hopefully this helps someone the time and effort we spent on trying to fix the problem.

 

Gregg

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “vCenter 5.1 SSO default domain clashes if domain is added to username for CommVault Auto-Discovery

  1. Thank you! This will probably help me in two weeks. Planning an upgrade to vSphere 5.1 and a heavy CommVault user.

  2. It would be interesting to see if the problem occurs if you use the username in the following format in the VSA component ( if it will let you)

    Username@fqdn

  3. Pingback: vNews April 2013 – Bumper issue! | Stu McHugh's Virtualisation Blog

  4. I do trust all the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work.
    Still, the posts are too quick for starters.
    Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?
    Thanks for the post.

  5. I came across this exact issue recently. We had just upgraded from Vcenter 5.0 to 5.1 which introduced SSO. Commvault was generating an error that the connection to Vcenter had been lost. Checking the Guest Host Configuration did show any hosts and the manual discover did not yield any results. After removing the domain prefix from the service account, Commvault was able to communicate with Vcenter and discover all the hosts! After banging my head against the wall, I came across your article! Well done and thank you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s