My ramblings about all things technical

Microsoft DPM Fails with event ID: 7034" The DPM service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s)



A few days ago while running restores on our Data Protection Manager(DPM) server the MMC failed and brought up the below error message


I checked all the services and the DPM and DPMRA services had stopped so i restarted them and made sure all the others were running also and then tried to reopen the DPM 2007 Administrator Console and after five to ten seconds it would fail and give me the same error above.

So I decided to start searching the Microsoft forums and the internet for any mention of this error and hopefully a solution. I found a number of postings with varying solutions and tried quite a few of them, from reinstalling DPM 2007 SP1, installing hotfixes and scouring the DPM error logs for any kind of answers but none of the worked/helped. So after having tried a sufficient amount of time to fix it myself i logged a ticket with Microsoft support as fortunately EMC is a gold partner. After finally getting hold of the support engineer (he asked me to call him for my support ticket…) he asked me to send him my log files which were located in a different place than what was mentioned in any of the forums I saw as mine were under C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM and the log in particular that the engineer said I would find the error and where he found it was the MSDPMCurr.errlog file. In here after Caught unhandled exception  ,right at the end of the line is the error message that shows what your problem isThere is an error in XML document (1, 1). —> System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1”  The engineer said if I put this into a search engine and looked for it it would have told me my problem although I’ve tested this and can’t seem to see any solution that would have saved me calling them.

The solution in the end was a SQL query he made me run and was actually mentioned as something someone did mention in a forum but unfortunately didn’t post the SQL query. Here are the steps we took, These are at your own precaution:

  • First we backed up the DPM Database by running “dpmbackup –db” and making sure it created it successfully under  C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups.
  • We then opened SQL Management Studio (I right clicked on the application and ran it as administrator due to my DPM being installed on Server 2008) and logged into the DPM database (if yours doesn’t show up by default as an option like mine didn’t, unless it was manually renamed it will be servername\”name after MSSQL in the error message” so mine as shown in the screenshot above was ms$dpm2007$)
  • Once we were into SQL Management Studio we right clicked on the DPM server and selected “New Query*NB* Change the database in the selection box from master to the DPM DB and then we pasted the following query into the window and ran it.

UPDATE tbl_TE_TaskTrail
SET ExecutionState = 3,
LastStateName = ‘Failure’,
StoppedDateTime = GetUtcDate()
WHERE ExecutionState NOT IN (2,3)

UPDATE tbl_JM_JobTrail
SET JobState= ‘Failed’,
EndDateTime = GetUtcDate()
WHERE jobstate= ‘Execute’ OR jobstate= ‘Retire

  • At the bottom of the window it will tell you if the query executed successfully which mine did and then we opened the DPM Administrator Console and it wasn’t crashing anymore Open-mouthed smile.

The engineer said it was due to certain jobs having crashed and their XML files being corrupted so running the above query retires the jobs and fixes the problem.

Hopefully this helps people and saves them the time and effort I had to endure.


5 thoughts on “Microsoft DPM Fails with event ID: 7034" The DPM service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s)

  1. Bless you for documenting this. I has a similiar problem with this error as the last line.
    1298 123C 08/14 20:30:26.438 11 DpmThreadPool.cs(120) Attempting to invoke Watson
    1298 123C 08/14 20:30:26.453 12 everettexception.cpp(957) Exception Message = Object reference not set to an instance of an object. of type System.NullReferenceException
    After canceling all the active jobs with the sql updates queries I was able to get back into the DPM administrator console and figure out which protection member was messed up. Recreated it and all is well now

  2. Thanks Mate, you are a life saver

  3. Thank You!!! This worked on my DPM 2012 SP1 Version 4.1.3465.0 Even though I couldn’t find the error mentioned in the MSDPMCurr.errlog, it still worked. I can now use the management console.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.