Last week while trying to build a Windows 2008 R2 server environment for a user I came across numerous problems when trying to add the clients to the domain I had created. I didn’t have much time to troubleshoot but after disabling all three “instances” of windows firewall everything started working and communicating as it should.
On Monday this week I noticed Daryl Hunter(@darylhunter) and Kendrick Coleman(@kendrickcoleman) talking about DNS problems with windows 2008 r2 on twitter and so told them of the problems I had come across and my work around. From this Daryl came back with a very interesting blog posting on the issue and which is the reason I’m creating this posting. Scott Forsythe who’s blog it is has found the reason to why I personally was having this problem and has brilliantly detailed how to fix the problem. A definite must read for anyone planning on rolling out Windows 2008 R2 domain controllers to their environment. and obviously anyone also experiencing the same issues.
Hope it saves someone the time.